Long before the water tower was built, this site was home to the “vuurboet”: a tall, lighthouse-like structure that guided fishermen safely to shore. Originally, coal and peat were burned as a light source; later, an electric lamp was installed. The beacon was of great importance to the fishing community of Zandvoort. In 1907, the structure was demolished, but the lamp was preserved. This object serves as a reminder of a time when navigation still depended on simple yet lifesaving aids along the coast.